Getting Pregnant 101 – What You Should Know Before You Try
|February 22, 2010||Posted by healthsmartmom under Pregnancy|
First things first – do you know how to get pregnant? I mean seriously, when you think about it, so much time and energy is spent in not getting pregnant, that many assume that you will get pregnant if you simply stop trying to not get pregnant. And for some, it is as simple as that, for others, well, it’s not so simple.
While romance and emotion do play their part in the decision of having a baby, it’s not uncommon to feel pain and frustration, especially among the couples who are not able to conceive easily. Even healthy, fertile couples may find it takes several months to conceive and anxiety levels tend to increase the longer it takes. While the majority of couples will conceive within 4-8 months, it may take up to a full year for healthy couples to conceive.
However, to increase the chances of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy, a woman need to begin preparing her body months before even attempting conception. Some of the steps to take at least 3 to 4 months prior to conception include:
- Visit your OB/GYN and let them know of your intentions. They will likely prescribe a pre-natal vitamin to help you maintain proper vitamin and mineral levels. In addition, many pre-natal vitamins also include DHA, an essential fatty acid critical for brain and neural development and newborn health.
- You (and your partner) should stop smoking, and you should stop drinking alcohol.
- Do not take any prescription medications or over-the-counter medications without first telling your doctor of your plans to become pregnancy. (Do NOT stop taking prescription medication you are already taking without first consulting with your doctor. Your doctor can check to see if there is a better baby-safe alternative or come up with a treatment plan for you. But don’t start any new prescription medications without first telling your doctor of your plans to become pregnant.)
- You may want to start a simple exercise program to lose extra weight and improve your overall health condition (believe me, you will need the extra energy later!)
- There are many holistic measures that you can take for the maintenance of good health that will be helpful for both the mother and the child. Yoga, relaxation techniques, chemical free cleaning products and more will help to reduce stress levels and improve the health of the household. One great resource for holistic measures that will help you increase your chances of getting pregnant is Lisa Olson’s Pregnancy Miracle.
By taking these simple steps before you even attempt to get pregnant, you can increase your chances of getting and maintaining a healthy pregnancy. And now you can move on to the fun part – getting pregnant!
Article by Stefani Padilla, author, entrepreneur, home based business owner, wife and mom.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Stefani_Padilla